We all know what to make if life hands us lemons but beets and fennel? Maybe it’s not so obvious. So, here’s a recipe to answer that question. And, as a bonus, you end up with a delicious salad. And red stained hands. Enjoy.
Beet, Fennel, and Apple Salad
for the salad:
- 1 bunch of beets (any colors/kinds you like)
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1-2 apples (use flavorful ones like Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Granny Smith)
for the dressing:
- 1 Tbs mustard (stone-ground, Dijon, or deli – don’t use yellow)
- 3 Tbs honey
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar (cider, rice, or white wine)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cut the tops and tails off the beets then boil in salted water until they are tender (between 30 and 75 minutes depending on size of beets.) Run under cold water until they are cool enough to handle then slip the skins off, rinse the beets, then set aside. Trim and wash the fennel then slice the bulb thin and mince the fronds. Thinly slice the apples and beets. Put all the dressing ingredients into a jar then close the lid and shake well. Toss the vegetables and fruit with dressing to taste.